Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ok so now in Paris and it's the last real day of Contiki. Tomorrow we leave for London. Thats it. Ive had an absolute ball and met some amazing people!!

Rome was a great city, I just wish I'd had more time to enjoy it. I really liked Florence too - saw Michaelangelos stature of David and it is impressive.

We went to Lucerne, Switzerland (26th/27th) where everything is expensive - except for Swiss Army knives.

Lei and I hiked up part of the way to Mount Pilatus while the rest of the Contiki group (while telling us we had rocks in our heads) took a few gondolas to the top. It was a real shame that the weather was rainy and foggy. Didn't get to see as much as we would have liked, and Lei was planning to walk right to the top of Pilatus but it was too dangerous in that weather. We enjoyed it though: and found the steep bits hard work but exhilirating at the same time!


Lei and I on the walk up, rainy weather (above) and at one of the lookouts on Mt Pilatus, looking down over Lake Lucerne and the town (to the left I think)

We hung around up the top of Pilatus and had a hot chocolate after drying off our shirts (they were wet from sweat which actually turned really cold in that weather!!). Went for a bit of a quick walk too and then caught the cog railway down the other side of Pilatus - it's the steepest in the world with many parts up around the 45 degree angle. Down the bottom we were all set to catch the train back but Lei was too honest with trying to get a ticket so the train left without us :( Numerous attempts at asking people in the carpark if they were going to Lucerne, as well as a bit of thumbing for a lift failed to produce results. [note to self: check if hitch-hiking is illegal in Switzerland.] At one stage we went into a pub as we thought a Contiki bus driver might be in there but all we found were three seedy blokes drinking by themselves. They were very welcoming though... we backed out the door slowly, smiling sweetly, while saying 'umm no thank you'. So alas, 1hour between trains. Eventually we gave up and waited for the next one.

Got back into town and went for a walk around Lucerne. I found some swans that I fed some cheese and then approached one for a photo. In between it hissing and lunging at me, Lei managed to take a few photos. I bought a white Swiss army knife, which apparently, along with the green ones, can only be bought in Switzerland. I love it, and I reckon it was cheap.

Cantankerous swan (left), river through Lucerne (right)














So then, we left Lucerne for Paris. Last night we went up the Eiffel tower, again RAINING!! Not too happy about that but many made up for that with good crepes.

View of the Eiffel tower with sparkly lights on, from the Eiffel tower (lower platform).

I skipped the Louvre as I plan to do it next time I go to Paris, but I did see Notre Dame which is an impressive church (very dully lit though). We also went to Sacre Cour, Paris' highest natural point. We managed to avoid the blokes who were trying the string-tying trick where they get your hand, tie you a bracelet, then ask for an exhorbitant price. Amy yelling at one of them definitely helped keep them away. But they are very forceful!
Notre Dame

Four of us negotiated our way around the very complicated metro system (you can get postcards of it - must be a novelty) and had one of the funniest experiences yet. We were standing on the platform and Amy checked with a guy near us that we were going the right way. He said yes, we got on the train, all normal. We sat on some seats right near the door. Next thing we know that guy has set up a black curtain thing between the hand rails and music was playing and some dodgy-looking sock puppets were in action. We were all completely shocked, and we couldn't stop laughing. It was just such a weird experience seeing these puppet things going off. It's like it was a normal boring train ride one minute and then some craziness took hold and we had no idea what was going on.

Anyway, the highlight of Paris, for me, was Moulin Rouge. It was a spectacular show. So over-the-top and entertaining. Lovely atmosphere too and a great night with Kim, Amy and Lei.

Anyway, had better go, very tired.

NX TALLY:
III
I Red, done up - cruising past our Lucerne hotel with some serious stereo action

AIXAM TALLY:
I

No comments: